- Flexibility – the OSS/BSS solution should constitute flexibility, to quickly incorporate new functionalities. It should be dynamic and able to support multiple vendors and platforms.
- Data Analytics – The platform should be able to report and analyze data relating to subscriptions, revenue per user, retention rate, subscriber churn and other related metrics. The OSS/BSS must be able to collect this data and process into meaningful reports, for management.
- Billing & Revenue Management – An efficient billing & revenue management system ensures that users get billed for services consumed, ensures revenue leakage, detects frauds and also supports convergent prepaid-postpaid billing. E.g. Ting Mobile, offers a la carte pricing to its customers. They have a bucket of plans for text, voice minutes and data; customers can mix and match plans to create a unique plan.
- Customer Management – It is an essential function of a BSS system. It relates to providing information to users, solving their query and registering a grievance which leads to loyal and satisfied subscriber base.
- Data security – it should provide the highest level of security so that privacy and security of user information are safe. Blyke, a youth-focused MVNO has deployed a solution to protect against ID theft and ensure that safety of customer data.
- Reduced deployment time – Time is taken to deploy platform should be efficient and should allow faster services roll out.
By 2020 global MVNO market is expected to be worth USD 73 Billion and number of subscribers to exceed 300 million, growing at a CAGR of 10%. What gives them an edge over mobile network operators (MNOs) is their agile infrastructure and their ability to offer niche and innovative products. So what are key steps MVNOs can identify to create a better positioning in the market and compete profitably? Service Differentiation – An excellent example of niche ecosystem is when MVNO works with CSP /MNO to expand services and introduce new bundles faster to satiate user demands and stay ahead of competition. ROK Mobile entered into an agreement with Three UK to become an MVNO offering music streaming services along with data, voice and texts. Technological Differentiation – It is important to have a solution that is capable of seamlessly integrating different services and allows each subscriber a customized experience. An optimum OSS/BSS solution meets MVNOs needs by Omni-channel strategy, product content management, customization, building consumer profile, billing and revenue management. Channel Differentiation – MVNO needs to have a distribution strategy, which can reach its customers quickly. Building a robust distribution channel helps an MVNO to effectively reach and serve its customers wherever they are and also helps in determining which channels are best suited to deliver the maximum number of subscribers. User management – To build a loyal customer base and reduce churn, an MVNO needs to invest in a technology that is scalable and agile that best serves their customers dynamic needs. Providing consumers the freedom to choose their plans, creating a hassle free user experience and understanding the need of customers in order to serve them better. What to look for in an OSS/BSS solution to meet such objectives