STL Academy for Gifted Optical Fibre Cable Deployers

Posted By :
STL Academy functioning

Strap in for a crash course in STL Academy’s functioning – the programs and certifications they offer and the value those bring to everyone involved.

The STL Academy exit for one clear purpose: To train people in the correct ways of deploying and maintaining an Optical Fibre Network. The people who undergo the Academy’s programs are:

  • STL’s partner operators,
  • STL’s own project engineers, and also
  • Army personnel involved in Network For Spectrum (NFS) maintenance
STL Academy for Gifted Optical Fibre Cable Deployers
In sub-zero temperatures, Master Trainer Altaf Hussain anchors 7th batch of NFS fibre maintenance program for 32 army personnel in Srinagar

What follows is a deep dive into what the Academy’s programs are and what the certifications are that the participants receive upon finishing them:

Training Programs

The professionals undergo intensive training on programs that pertain to:

  • Best deployment practices
  • Troubleshooting
  • Network maintenance

Depending on the intricacy and complexity involved, the programs are divided into three levels: Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 and the duration goes up from 2 days to 3 to 4 with each next level. There is a special program for the army which is the longest and it is designed to be 5 days long.

In each program, emphasis is laid on hands-on technical training, which makes up 70% of the session. The lecture/ demonstration takes up the remaining 30%. About 20-30 people attend a session on average.

These sessions are held all over India at various STL project sites, including those in J&K, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa and Telangana.

1Naturally, the programs tend to be customised to project specifications and the requirements of the clients (all the private Indian Telcos and the Indian Government).

STL Academy for Gifted Optical Fibre Cable Deployers
Army personnel trained in 4th batch of NFS program receive certificates from academy trainer Indranil Ghoshal


The following STL Academy partners conduct independent assessments and certify the professionals who undergo these trainings:

  • National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)
  • Infrastructure Equipment Skill Council (IESC)
  • Telecom Sector Skill Council (TSSC)
  • Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)

These certifications serve a significant purpose. They are crucial to unlocking access to unique, long-lasting warranties that are only afforded to companies when they work with Certified OF Cable Installers.

Benefits of Training Programs

Not only are the certifications valuable in and of themselves, but STL Academy’s holistic training programs allow for a multitude of other benefits to all parties involved.

Through these programs,

  • The trainees stay abreast with the latest technological developments, acquire new skills and are able to contribute more meaningfully to their businesses.
  • The clients benefit from the resulting boost in efficiency, reduction in error rate and increased First Time Right (FTR) rate.
  • STL in return gains a repository of knowledgeable professionals (both internal and external) trained and certified in fibre optics, by creating this ecosystem.

The use of the word “ecosystem” in the last sentence is deliberate. The Academy’s goal is to foster symbiotic relationships with all the different stakeholders that are associated with this industry and in the process, standardise OFC deployment practices in India. In addition to this, the Academy is driven by their ambition to generate employment opportunities for the youth of the country. This is now beginning to take real form.

Internship Programs

In a first, STL Academy is set to launch Pre-employment/ Internship Programs assessed and certified by international certification bodies on the various aspects of OFC installation. For the inaugural batch, the Academy’s goal is to induct and graduate 200-250 engineering students, following which the interns will receive opportunities to work at STL and partners of STL.

Read about the Academy’s recent accomplishments and recognitions: ( )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.